John Fleming DVM

100 Ravinia Place
Orland Park, IL 60462

(708)349-3331

www.johnflemingvet.com

                                                                                                 Three Dog Poisons

     Everyone by now knows that raisans are toxic to many, but not all, dogs. A penny minted in and after l983 contains 2.5 grams of zinc which is toxic to a 25 pound dog. A pack of gum sweetened with XYLITOL can do in a large dog. One stick can harm a small dog. Recently one of our tech's dogs got into her bottle of biotin tablets for her fingernails. Unfortunately the tablets from GNC were coats in xylitol. Her little dog ate about 200 tabs. We hospitalized the dog and kept him on IV dextrose for 2 days and he did fine. Highly toxic stuff. Read labels! Xylitol does not bother cats.